Loading Dock Solutions for Last Mile Delivery
Last mile delivery is revolutionizing the supply chain, far beyond being just a buzzword. So, what is last mile delivery? It's the process of transporting goods from a transportation hub to the final delivery destination. In recent years, the significance of last mile delivery has surged, becoming a critical component of the e-commerce ecosystem. Q1 2023 data from Digital Commerce 360 showcases a $253.1 billion surge in e-commerce sales, an 8% year-over-year increase. This growth, along with a 0.5% rise in e-commerce penetration, underscores a permanent shift in consumer behavior, a trend solidified during the pandemic.
A key challenge in this sector is the diversity of vehicle types, sizes and tire diameters, which necessitates versatile and adaptable solutions. Rite-Hite emerges as a leader in this space, offering innovative loading dock equipment designed to meet the unique demands of last mile delivery.
Balancing Speed, Safety and Versatility Amidst Delivery Demands
In the fast-paced world of last mile shipping, the pressure for expedited delivery is immense. However, it's crucial to balance this need for speed with safety. And, traditional loading dock equipment often struggles to safely accommodate the varying heights and sizes of last mile delivery vehicles. Not to mention, many facilities are looking to retrofit existing facilities and dock positions to accommodate the need for faster, direct shipment so equipment has to adapt beyond new construction. Without proper equipment, facilities are at risk of missing deadlines, jeopardizing shipper of choice status as well as compromising the safety and integrity of their products, equipment and most importantly - people!
Rite-Hite's products are specifically designed to tackle the challenges of last mile delivery. They offer:
- Leading Versatility: Adaptable to various vehicle types and heights, ensuring efficient loading and unloading regardless of trailer height and tire diameter in last mile delivery solutions.
- Uncompromised Safety: Speedy yet safe environment for dock workers and drivers in last mile shipping, delivering smart data and analytics for proactive improvements for long-term sustainability.
- Improved Efficiency: Optimized time allocation for each load, streamlining operations and prioritizing loads for effective vehicle restraint in last mile delivery solutions.
Specific Solutions for Last Mile Delivery
- GWC-1000 Global Wheel Chock: Offers ease of use and reliability, handling a range of vehicle sizes and enhancing safety. The Global Wheel Chock is familiar to operators, but enhancing a typical wheel chock with constant light communication inside and out and ergonomic handling. In manual wheel-based restraint placement, pedestrian drive approach safety is paramount. Approach-Vu™ is recommended as it offers advanced notification to workers outside the loading dock, indicating the need to safely vacate the drive approach due to a looming threat
- Loading Dock Light Communication: Standard with all Rite-Hite vehicle restraints, the inside and outside light system helps streamline operations and reduce errors by improving communication between dock workers and drivers, both inside and outside the facility. The system can be offered as standalone for facilities that choose to only employ simple wheel chocks at the dock.
- Rite-Hite Dok-Lok® Dock Timer: Streamlines operations, ensuring efficient loading and unloading processes. Placed inside the dock near loading dock controls, the timer helps material handlers prioritize loading needs by actively displaying total loading duration for each dock position. It also helps facilities avoid costly detention charges, further enhancing their shipper of choice status.
- Dual-Dok®: Combination loading dock leveler and dock lift provides the ultimate versatile solution to service the widest range of vehicles, from standard over the road trailers to delivery vehicles, as well as access to the drive approach all in one dock position. Due to the diverse types of vehicles serviced, interlocking Global Wheel Chock is recommended to safely restrain tires and Uni-Dox™ inflatable shelter for a tight seal around the vehicle sides and roof, helping to increase energy savings.
- Trailer Lift: Addresses the challenge of aligning traditional levelers with varying delivery trailer heights, offering adaptability and reducing manual handling. The lift is compatible with Rite-Hite vehicle restraints, ensuring docks stay OSHA compliant. All trailer lifts come equipped with wheel guides for consistent on-centering trailer positioning features ensure accurate alignment, building protection and enhanced dock seal effectiveness.
- Scraper Systems™ Snow Removal: Fleet plows play a crucial role in maintaining a clean and safe loading dock environment. They effectively remove debris, water, and snow from the top of trailer and vehicle roofs, including vans, box trucks and semi-trucks. A brush is recommended for facilities with rounded and irregularly shaped vehicles. Snow removal machines enhance operational efficiency and promote compliance with various state snow removal regulations.
A comprehensive system of versatile loading dock solutions is crucial in answering demanding delivery times. Rite-Hite’s range of products designed with these unique application challenges in mind paired with decades of industry-leading expertise make them the go to partner when designing a loading dock suitable for last mile delivery. To learn more, talk to a loading dock expert today!