Light Curtain Alternatives
Automated machine guarding doors, roll up curtains as an alternative: The Defender™
The Safer, Cost Saving Light Curtain Alternative
Rite-Hite Machine Guarding Defender™ is the industry's most effective machine guarding device. Designed with the latest regulations and most demanding manufacturing process in mind, the Defender is the ideal safety guarding device in many manufacturing environments. Anywhere that a machine operator interacts with a machine, robot or process is an ideal application for the Defender.
What is a safety light curtain/scanner?
A safety light curtain is an optically driven, invisible method of machine guarding safety light curtains are a form of perimeter access guarding that falls into the category of "presence sensing devices" much like safety mats, photo eyes and safety laser scanners.
Safety light screens use a series of infrared beams to sense the presence of an obstruction, stopping machine movement before the hazard can be accessed. Light curtains are connected to a safety relay or control that communicates to the machine or process being guarded. When a beam on a light curtain is interrupted, a signal is sent through the safety control to the machine to cease operation.
A safety laser (area) scanner is much like a safety light curtain. Safety scanners are an invisible method of machine guarding also used to restrict access. Safety laser scanners are also considered a presence sensing device. The difference of safety laser scanners from safety light curtains is that they send out a fan-shaped beam that detects items that do not belong. Safety laser scanners may be programmed to sense various distances and be set for various resolutions. Safety laser scanners are also connected to a safety relay control.
Automated barrier doors, roll up curtains as an alternative:
Rite-Hite Machine Guarding manufactures a number of automated barrier doors, roll up curtains and innovative machine guarding solutions that are ideal alternatives to safety light curtains. By using non-contact, coded signal switches and safety rated relays (controls) Rite-Hite Machine Guarding can deliver the same level of safety (up to Cat. 4 per EN954-1, and/or PLe per 13849-1 when integrated properly) as light curtains, safety light curtains, safety light screens, safety laser scanners and laser scanners with the added benefit of providing a high speed retractable barrier between the machine operator and the process being guarded.
By guarding points of operation, and limiting access points through both electronic and physical means, Rite-Hite Machine Guarding's complete line of Roll up barrier doors offer the best in automation safeguarding solutions.
The Defender, Rectractable Safety Door Advantages
- Contains secondary hazards associated with the manufacturing process, ideal as automation safeguarding
- Guards employees from flash, sparks, splash, flying debris and other process driven hazards
- Uses non-contact, coded signal switches and actuators to monitor and maintain that the doors is in the safe position. Up to Cat. 4 and/or PLe per EN/ISO 13849-1.
- Machine guarding that is VISIBLY SAFER! Fully sealed barrier tabs on curtain edge have 450# tear-out strength
- Multiple brands of switches/actuators and controls integrated with barrier protection enhances machine safety
- Electronic and physical means of controlling access. Provides up to Cat 4 or PLe with proper control wiring.
- Interlocked Barrier Doors reduce footprint of manufacturing cell by locating closer to hazard. Greatly reduces the need for a “safety zone”. May/can apply the same safety distance formula
- Reduces footprint of manufacturing cell by locating closer to hazard. Greatly reduces the need for a “safety zone”
- Rite-Hite Machine Guarding’s Automated Curtains are ideal in applications that require additional space for light curtains because it is also a movable physical barrier that can be locked or programmed to delay opening to allow for machine to de-energize.
- Increases productivity by locating closer to hazard and provides clear visual cue for operator to be on task
- Allows operator to pivot to load and unload parts due to reduced "safety zone" space requirements
- Soft bottom edge enhances safety
- Designed to stand up in the harshest manufacturing applications
- TEFC motors and curtain fabrics designed to withstand application and environmental conditions
- Optional windows allow for continuous monitoring of the process
- Gravity down operation - not powered down